Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Clock Work Orange

"A Clock Work Orange" is a satirical book about a sadistic, young man named Alex.  The book is  by Anthony Bergess and was very controversial at the time it came out, (1970s)and is still considered quite vulgar today.  The book cover on the left is one that was done in the 70s.  The book cover on the right is my own version.  I wanted to somehow symbolize the description of the title: a clock work meaning no emotion or sympathy and orange referring to a human and their usually soft insides that do have emotion. By saying that it is a clockwork orange, which the main character, Alex is, it is implying the on the inside, Alex is as empathetic as a clock.  I used the orange as the head instead of actual head to show the meaning better.  I also used an clock face as one of the "Os" in the title instead of a gear in a clock for an eye.  Though I thought it was quite clever, it had been done in several other book covers and I wanted to do something different and fresh.  The color scheme I also wanted to be simple and modern, with the bright orange and bulging font the center of attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment