Monday, September 10, 2012

American Museum of Immigration

This is a poster advertising the American Museum of Immigration. 

Its function is to attract the public to come the museum.

I found it in a book called "Posters, American Style."

The typography is stylistically slanted to create interest.  The same white color and even spacing and positioning of each word or word group gives it unity, as does the simple, rich blue background.  The less vibrant sixteen models of the statue of liberty complement the blue nicely and are expertly coordinated based on their position and especially color.   While at the same time, it seems as thought they have been grouped haphazardly.

I think the quality of the work is crisp and yet interesting, the words I would describe it with from the vocabulary wheel would be calm, orderly, and fresh.

What attracted me to the piece is the similar colors of the statues being grouped together.  The painting class that I took has made me more sensitive to colors and how they relate to each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment